Home Buying Perils
My parents bought their first house in 2005. Unfortunately, they didn’t know much about home buying or home inspections. They fell in love with their beautiful three bedroom and two bathrooms home and bought it without checking the property or getting a second opinion.
Later that year, I began having trouble breathing at night while I was sleeping. We had no idea what was causing the problem. I went to see various doctors to try and determine the cause. It resulted that I was suffering from asthma due to mold.
We quickly had a mold inspector come and check out the problem. He moved furnishings away from the walls and even checked the vents. He discovered dark spots throughout the house and in the garage. Cracks on the exterior walls were damp and moldy.
The mold inspector sent out the samples and determined it was Penicillium/Aspergillus mold. The CDC references the World Health Organization’s Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould when discussing health-related issues linked to mold. In their guidelines, they state, “Many fungal species produce type I allergens, and immunoglobulin (Ig)E sensitization to the commonest outdoor and indoor fungal species, like Alternaria, Penicillium, Aspergillus and Cladosporium spp., is strongly associated with allergic respiratory disease, especially asthma.”
The mold inspector identified numerous locations where the mold was growing and gave us different suggestions on how to control the problem (i.e. controlling humidity levels by fixing any cracks or leaky roofs, sealing windows and pipes, ventilating the laundry, shower and cooking areas, etc.).
In the end, there was over $10,000 worth of damages and my health was suffering. Although my parents tried to clear up the mold, the costs and health concerns associated with the mold condition became too much and they ended up selling the house and moving.
This is why it is so important to have a home inspection prior to investing in a home. A mold inspection performed prior to investing in the home would have saved time, money and avoided any mold-related health issues. Make the unknown known. Save yourself a lot of money in the long run and make a healthy decision for your family by hiring a home inspector.By: Darline Rojas